Find a Physician
Operating Room NursePrint
Job SummaryProOrtho, a division of Proliance Surgeons, P.S., Inc., is currently seeking an Operating Room Nurse to provide expert professional nursing care for patients during the perioperative course.
Job DescriptionPosted: 12/19/2016
The Registered Nurse in surgery provides expert professional nursing care for the patient during the perioperative course. The RN assesses, plans, implements and evaluates the care of patients throughout surgical intervention. The RN in surgery will supervise Operating Room Technicians and ancillary personnel.
Minimum requirements include a graduation from an accredited school of nursing; current State licensure; CPR and ACLS certification. Two years of operating room experience is desired.
Preferred accomplishments include experience in Orthopaedics and outpatient surgery. The applicant must be able to communicate effectively and have the ability to work compatibly with all physicians and staff. The preferred applicant will possess strong organizational skills and a clear understanding of the importance of efficiency and cost effectiveness in an ambulatory surgery center.
The applicant needs to have the knowledge and clinical skills to perform the job duties of an operating room nurse. Knowledge of aseptic technique, anesthetic agents and complications and the ability to handle emergency situations is required.
Applicant must have an aptitude for understanding, use of and troubleshooting of machines and equipment.
Applicant should have the ability to be flexible in job duties and work schedule.
The primary responsibility of the RN will be to perform the duties of a circulator in the Operating Room. The RN may also be competent in the role of a scrub nurse and perform the duties of that role, as staffing requires.
1. Work with all members of the health care team to provide optimal care to the patient, throughout their surgical experience.
2. Maintain a friendly, positive and caring attitude with all patients, physicians and staff.
3. Maintain excellent physical and mental health.
4. Assist in patient education during all phases of their experience at the Center.
5. Assist in assuring that the proper supplies, instruments and equipment are available for the procedure.
6. Assist in assuring that equipment is functioning properly.
7. Assist supervisor with preparation of budget.
8. Monitor use of and charge for all supplies used during procedure. Assist with inventory control by proper count of supplies/time used.
9. Document appropriately the care that is given to the patient.
10. Continue education to meet state requirements and keep current with health care issues.
Job Description – RN, Surgery 3
11. Display professionalism at work and in the community as a representative of the Center.
12. Take an active role on committees within the department and throughout the clinic.
13. Identifies actual and potential risk to patients and others and takes action to minimize or eliminate risk and maximize safety.
14. Performs charge nurse responsibilities as staffing demands and as requested.
1. Prepare for the next days’ cases by gathering supplies, instruments and equipment.
2. Check autoclave for proper temperature and pressure.
3. Introduction to the patient and family will be done in the pre-op holding area. An assessment of the patient will be performed at that time to include verification and documentation of procedure, correct operative site, allergies and other pertinent patient information. The nurse will explain the role of the circulating nurse to the patient and assure the patient that a nurse will remain with the patient while they are in the operating room.
4. Assist anesthesia to make sure that they have proper supplies and drugs available.
5. Assist with transport of the patient to the operating room.
6. Correctly position patient for procedure, using proper positioning techniques.
7. Assist Anesthesia personnel with induction as necessary.
8. Monitors for breaks in aseptic technique.
Job Description – RN, Surgery 4
9. Performs surgical prep per protocol.
10. Performs sponge and needle counts as appropriate.
11. Monitors patient with local anesthesia as necessary.
12. Is prepared for emergency situations by knowing correct procedures and locations of emergency call system.
13. Assists entire team throughout procedure to ensure a desired outcome.
14. Labels and sends specimens to pathology as per protocol.
15. Monitors that Universal Precautions are maintained.
16. At the end of the procedure, the nurse will assist with securing the dressing, moving the patient to the gurney and assisting anesthesia as needed.
17. Assists in transporting patient to PACU.
18. Gives a thorough report to the PACU RN to assure continuity of care.
19. Is available to PACU RN for assistance as necessary.
20. Will have completed nurse record and posted charges for the procedure prior to returning to the operating room.
21. Make corrections and updates surgeons’ preference cards.
22. Will assist in cleaning of room and instruments.
23. Will assist in restocking of OR.
24. Organize supplies and equipment for surgical procedures according to physician preference
Job Description – RN, Surgery 5
25. Offers assistance to other rooms and areas within the department if the need arises and time allows.
26. Keeps the Manager apprised of any equipment/instruments that are in need of repair.
27. Participates on committees and assists in special projects that may arise as directed by the nurse manager.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to ProOrthoJobs@proliancesurgeons.com.
Use OR RN as the subject of your email.