Find a Physician
Surgical Technologist Print
Job SummarySouthwest Seattle Ambulatory Surgery Center, a division of Proliance Surgeons, Inc., is looking for a full-time or part-time Surgical Technologist to join their team.
Job DescriptionPosted: 10/13/2017
The Surgical Technologist, under minimum supervision, performs a variety of duties in the department as a member of the surgical team. Must have the ability to scrub on all cases performed at the Center. The Surgical Tech is responsible for the set-up and maintenance of sterile field, assists in the opening of the supplies/equipment for surgical cases, and may assist in preparation for cases by “picking cases”.
Skill Requirements and Responsibilities:
- Ability to demonstrate appropriate sterile and aseptic technique
- Ability to perform scrub technologist functions according to AORN Recommended Practices and Center Policies and Procedures.
- Ability to manage the operative field during the surgical procedure in a manner that assures maintenance of the sterile field
- Knowledge of, and ability to, disinfect, clean and prepare for sterilization, any instruments, equipment, and supplies utilized at the Surgery Center
- Ability to operate equipment used in processing, instrumentation, such as ultrasonic cleaner, washer-disinfector, Steris and autoclave, using the appropriate settings
- Ability to prioritize and have excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in stressful situations
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to work with others within a team environment
- Set-up required operative fields, arranging instrumentation, equipment and supplies on the mayo and back table(s) as appropriate for the assigned case according to the Surgery Center’s policy and the surgeon’s preference card
- Prepares for the next day’s scheduled procedures, as assigned, by pulling cases, by using surgeon’s preference cards to assure that all necessary supplies, instruments and equipment are available. Labels cases and prepares “needs list” accurately
- Anticipate the needs of the surgeon and other members of the surgical team
- Handle specimens appropriately, per Center policies and procedures
- Demonstrates care of delicate instrumentation by proper handling and storage of instruments used on assigned cases
- Prepare clean and contaminated instruments and supplies utilized in the surgical suite for transport, and transport these instruments and supplies to Decontam for processing and sterilization
- Ability to assist, when necessary, in the disinfecting, cleaning and preparation for sterilization, any instruments, equipment and supplies utilized at the Center
- Assist in Center suite maintenance including case preparation, turn-over and terminal cleaning.
- Assist with inventory control and stocking of supplies.
- Fosters a positive and professional environment by interacting with all persons in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner
- Maintains confidentiality of all Center and patient information as required by Center policy
- Displays a caring and responsive attitude and conducts all activities respecting patient, family and employee rights and expectations
- Attends and participates in all applicable training and development workshops scheduled by the Center
- Maintains and displays appropriate knowledge of professional development through printed material or other sources
- Attends professional training seminars, when appropriate for job development, and shares information with other staff members
- Assists in the orientation of new personnel
- Acts as a resource person to other members of the staff
- Participates in Center Marketing as requested
- Participates in the Quality Improvement Program activities including identification of opportunities for cost reductions and efficiencies
- Works to achieve and maintain regulatory certification and accreditation of the Center
- Maintains dress and appearance according to the Center dress code
- Diffuses/resolves conflict by appropriately communicating with those involved
- Accepts constructive criticism and gives suggestions in a professional manner
- Maintains all required registration and certification
- Maintains acceptable attendance and punctuality to maximize contribution to the organization in accordance with Center policy
- Requests scheduled time off according to Center policy and procedure
- Provides notification for unscheduled absences or tardiness in accordance with established Center procedures
- Good visual and hearing acuity
- Ability to lift/transfer patients in excess of 100 pounds, which may require pushing, pulling, and utilizing a full range of body movements. Ability to stand walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl
- Manual dexterity to operate equipment and handle instrumentation
- Ability to withstand prolonged periods of standing and walking
- Periodic exposure to possible injury when lifting requires proper body mechanics and adherence to safety procedures
Based on the OSHA guidelines for protection against occupational exposure to Hepatitis and HIV, this position is described as Category I. This means that this position has exposure to blood and body fluids. Policies are in place for Universal Precautions identifying risks and appropriate barrier protection.
- Graduate of an accredited training program, certification (CST) preferred
- Minimum two years surgical experience, ASC experience preferred
- Experience in Orthopedics/ ENT/ and general surgery is preferred
- Successful completion of BCL
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication skills in order to facilitate effective interaction with a variety of health care professionals and personnel
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and have the capability to organize and prioritize work
- Prior knowledge of surgical instrumentation and peri-operative equipment
- Ability to flex work hours as needed and/or requested by management
- Reports to the ASC Manager/Director and/or Charge Nurse
The above is intended to describe the general content and requirements for the performance for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
How to Apply:
If interested in applying, please email your cover letter and resume through the form below or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.