Find a Physician
Surgical Technologist Print
Job SummaryThe surgical technologist in the OR provides assistance to the surgeon and PA and OR team during the time the patient is present in the operating room.
Job DescriptionPosted: 10/15/2019
The surgical technologist in the OR provides assistance to the surgeon and PA and OR team during the time the patient is present in the operating room.
Minimum requirements include a graduation from an accredited school for surgical technologists; current State licensure and CPR. Two years of orthopedics outpatient experience is desired for position.
- Work with all members of the health care team to provide optimal care to the patient throughout their surgical experience.
- Maintain a friendly, positive and caring attitude with all patient, physicians and staff.
- Assist in assuring that the proper supplies, instruments and equipment are available for the procedure.
- Assist in assuring that equipment is functioning properly.
- Monitor use of all supplies used. Assist with inventory control by proper count of supplies/time used.
- Continue education to meet State requirements and keep current with health care.
- Take an active role on committees within the department.
- Identifies actual and potential risk to patients and others and takes action to minimize or eliminate risk and maximize safety.
PLEASE REFER TO ST SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES FOR DETAILS.
- Problem solving skills
- Skill in using a computer
- Ability to remove oneself personally from given situations, remaining objective
- Ability to exhibit cooperation, flexibility, and provide assistance when interfacing with patients, physician and staff
- Skill in organizing and reporting information that is accurate and complete
- Understanding of the need for and evidence of consistent respect for confidentiality/HIPAA
- Ability to maintain composure in stressful situations
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all staff
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Consistency and timeliness in attendance
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The work environment/physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to stand, walk, and sit. Some bending and stretching required. Use of telephone is required. Manual dexterity required for use of computer keyboard. Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.