Find a Physician
Job SummarySeattle Neuro and Spine Surgeons, a division of Proliance Surgeons, Inc., currently has an opening for a Physician Assistant.
Job DescriptionPosted: 10/13/2020
Proliance Surgeons is one of the largest surgical practices in the country, with over 425 providers including over 250 board-certified physicians providing treatment at more than 100 care centers in Washington State. Our range of specialties includes orthopedics, sports medicine, spine, ear nose & throat, general surgery, ophthalmology, obstetrics & gynecology, urology and more
The physician assistant provides patient care both the inpatient and outpatient medical and surgical services, including patient histories and physicals, treatments, medications, surgical procedures, pre-operative and post-operative care, etc. to patients, under the supervision of a licensed physician as outlined in the Principal Duties and Responsibilities below. The P.A. will also have direct reporting responsibility to the Attending Physician of the respective patients for all evaluations and other duties performed, as well as, direct reporting to the Administrator for all personnel and employment.
The essential qualities necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Incumbent should have the ability to manage multiple tasks in a busy clinical environment.
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Above average oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently yet very effective team player and group supporter
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with physicians, residents, nurses, patients, families, staff, other health care professionals, and management
- Ability to work with and maintain confidentiality of patient, patient account, and personnel data
- The ability to work as a team member is necessary for this position
- Committee to advancement of physician assisting as a career
- Maintenance of credentialing and licensing
- Adherence to bylaws and regulations and any others identified by physician or Proliance Surgeons, Inc.
- Seeking continuously to improve the quality of care provided by the WAPA, and American College of Surgeons, AAPA or equivalent
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The key duties and responsibilities of the Surgery Scheduler typically include, but are not limited to:
- Complete individual daily rounds on all inpatients and documentation of medical plan.
- Participate in rounding with Attending Physician several times per week
- Provide routine medical management of inpatient care including ordering of diagnostic tests, labs, x-rays, medications (within the scope of the PA license) and nutrition, managing adjunctive care
- Participate in multidisciplinary rounds and communication of treatment plans with general surgeon physician, nursing staff, and families
- Conduct procedures (under direction and appropriate level of supervision of the Attending Physician
- Initiate appropriate emergency care in the inpatient and outpatient setting until the arrival of the supervising physician
- Manage discharge of patients with appropriate disposition, follow-up planning, adjunctive therapy management and education, medical records, including discharge summaries
- Make assessment of emergency conditions and, in conjunction with attending physician, implement management
- Prepare patients for surgery; including scheduling, education, positioning, skin preparation and administration of local anesthetic, IV sedation, and preparation of equipment
- Function as first or second assistant to surgeons during surgical procedures as needed and as directed for wide variety of surgical cases
- Assist with use of monitoring devices, ultrasound, and similar
- Performs complex surgical techniques as needed and as directed by physician
- Obtain medical history and perform physical examination
- Develop and implement plan of care with attending supervising physician
- Complete appropriate documentation of all evaluations, care, and services rendered in the medical record in a timely manner
- Make appropriate referral for consultations, schedule ancillary tests/procedures as needed
- Provide pre-and post-operative patient education to patients and their families when appropriate
- Respond to telephone inquiries of patients and provide appropriate medical care, referral for consultation or counseling
- Communicate with referring or primary care physicians regarding patient care and treatment
- Provide follow-up and health maintenance care including the appropriate adjustment of medications in accordance with established protocols or in response to specific instructions from the Attending Physician
- Prescription of medications to accomplish the plan of treatment
- Up to one weeknight (Mon - Thurs) call per week, exceptions to this may be made for PA vacation coverage
- Rotating weekend call (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), including hospital rounds on Saturday The number of assigned weekends is dependent on the number of employed PAs
- Physician Assistant Degree.
- Certification by governing professional association/organization.
- Licensure or eligible for licensing as a Physician Assistant in the State of Washington.
- Ability for hospital credentialing and privileges.
- Intermediate knowledge of and experience utilizing a personal computer.
- Intermediate word processing skills required.
- High competency in verbal communication with patients.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work environment/physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Proliance Surgeons offers a generous benefits package including Medical/RX, Dental, Vision, 401k with profit sharing and more! Plus ALL of our employees enjoy the free perks of our employee purchasing program offering a variety of discounts on purchases made every day – including cell phone service!
Proliance Surgeons is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply.
All employment decisions at Proliance Surgeons are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.