Find a Physician
Surgical Technologist Print
Job SummarySeattle Surgery Center, a division of Proliance Surgeons, Inc., currently has an opening for a Surgical Technologist.
Job DescriptionPosted: 11/10/2020
Proliance Surgeons is one of the largest surgical practices in the country, with over 425 providers including over 250 board-certified physicians providing treatment at more than 100 care centers in Washington State. Our range of specialties includes orthopedics, sports medicine, spine, ear nose & throat, general surgery, ophthalmology, obstetrics & gynecology, urology and more
Seattle Surgery Center is one of the largest freestanding ambulatory surgery centers (ASC) in the Pacific Northwest. Founded in 1988 as the First Hill Surgery Center, it was relocated to its present site in 1993 on the old Cabrini Hospital location at Madison and Boren Streets in the center of Seattle’s medical establishment on First Hill. SSC is a seven operating room, multi-specialty ASC with a strong focus on orthopedic and ophthalmology procedures. Surgeons from Proliance, PacMed, Virginia Mason, and a host of smaller surgical groups practice at Seattle Surgery Center.
The Sterile Instrument Technician performs duties related to the care, sterilization, packaging and disbursement of surgical equipment and supplies under direct supervision from the Clinical Director and Lead Surgical Technician.
The essential qualities necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Superior customer service skills
- Great interpersonal skills; demonstrating patience, composure and cooperation; working well with all patients, physicians and staff.
- Understanding of and adherence to all safety, risk management and precautionary procedures, including the consistent respect for confidentiality (HIPAA)
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleans instruments to prepare them for sterilization
- Demonstrates proper care, handling and disposal of sharps. Demonstrates proper care and handling of blood and secretions
- Collects and/or receives needles, syringes, gloves, linen, trays and other supplies used in the daily operation of the surgical center
- Operates and maintains steam autoclaves, keeping records of loads completed, items in loads and maintenance procedures performed
- Packages and wraps equipment and supplies in accordance with prescribed sterile procedures
- Organizes and assembles routine and specialty surgical instrument trays, linen and other sterilized supplies, filling special requests as needed
- Examines equipment/instruments for damage
- Records sterilizer test results- chemical, biological, bowie-dick
- Starts equipment and observes gauges and equipment operation to detect malfunctions and to ensure equipment is operating to prescribed standards
- Reports defective equipment to appropriate supervisors or staff
- Checks sterile supplies to ensure they are not outdated
- Maintains storage rooms in a neat and orderly manner in keeping with the highest standards of sanitation
- Follows standard operating procedures for a central sterile supply service
- Participates in Quality Assurance activities as assigned
- Performs related duties as assigned
- High School diploma or equivalent GED
- 12 months of experience in a medical, health care or laboratory setting or a closely related setting using sterile procedures
- Completed formal Central Services Technician Course
- Knowledge of aseptic techniques
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Skill in maintenance of equipment
- Skill in operation and monitoring of specialized equipment (e.g. autoclaves, sterilizers, ultrasonic cleaners, case carts, etc)
- Manual dexterity
Work Environment/Physical Demands
The work environment/physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Some bending and stretching required. Use of telephone is required.
- Manual dexterity required for use of computer keyboard.
- Occasionally lifts and carries items weighing up to 25 pounds. Requires working under stressful conditions or working irregular hours.
This description is intended to describe the essential job functions, the general supplemental functions and the essential requirements for the performance of this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and requirements of a person so classified. Other functions may be assigned and management retains the right to add or change the duties at any time.
Proliance Surgeons offers a generous benefits package including Medical/RX, Dental, Vision, 401k with profit sharing and more! Plus ALL of our employees enjoy the free perks of our employee purchasing program offering a variety of discounts on purchases made every day – including cell phone service!
Proliance Surgeons is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply.
All employment decisions at Proliance Surgeons are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.