Billing Office Manager
Bellevue Ear, Nose, & Throat in Issaquah, a division of Proliance Surgeons, Inc., is currently seeking a qualified Billing Office Manager.
Proliance Surgeons is one of the largest surgical practices in the country, with over 425 providers including over 250 board-certified physicians providing treatment at more than 100 care centers in Washington State. Our range of specialties includes orthopedics, sports medicine, spine, ear nose & throat, general surgery, ophthalmology, obstetrics & gynecology, urology and more.
Responsible for the management of patient billing performance and processes. Develop work flows and standards and operational goals of department. Supervises all billing and surgery scheduling employees, including related recruitment and hiring, performance management, progressive discipline, training and development. Provides billing oversight and expertise to the billing office and clinic staff. This includes the full cycle of patient account representation- from clinic visit coding to the data entry of payments and adjustments and the handling of billing inquiries and collections. Provides oversight of surgery scheduling work flows. Additionally, this role is superuser for the practice management and electronic medical records systems, including participating in attestation and data testing for quality measures.
The essential qualities necessary include, but are not limited to:
- Respectful, patient and pleasant personality; works well with diverse people
- Flexible attitude; adaptable to new challenges and projects
- Team player
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision
- Excellent public relations
- Interfaces well with staff and physicians
- Professional demeanor
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Business Office Manager is expected to perform position-related duties that include, but are not limited to:
- Directs and coordinates the overall functions of the Billing Office to ensure maximization of accounts receivables while improving patient, physician and customer relations
- Plans and leads patient billing, insurance, collections, referrals and authorizations and data processing to ensure accurate patient billing and efficient account collection
- Reviews ongoing status of patient accounts to identify and resolve billing and process problems in a timely manner
- Recommends and establishes credit and collection policies. Develops ongoing solutions for improvements
- Solves difficult payment and associated business office problems. Audits problem accounts.
- Develops and implements new procedures to improve the quality and quantity of work processed. Ensures policies are communicated and administered consistently
- Leads physicians and providers by training and mentoring in clinic coding and billing practices
- Supervises, trains, orients and evaluates performance of billing and surgery scheduling staff. Recommends merit increases, promotions, disciplinary actions
- Schedules coverage – ensures adequate staffing levels. Approves payroll for direct reports
- Monitors daily operating activity of department and makes necessary adjustments in work assignments
- Prepares, writes and analyzes reports
- Oversees month-end and year-end closure processes
- Responsible for and performs all the following billing department activities:
- Entry of charges and payments posting for all services, attorney depositions, conferences, and narratives.
- Reconciliation and audit of correct payments on accounts
- Daily bank deposits/returned checks
- Contacts health plans in regard to contract issues
- Timely accounts receivable collections
- Writing appeal/protest letters to insurance companies as necessary
- Posting of private and insurance payments
- Refund processing
- Updating patient insurance information, including memo entry for billing documentation
- Customer service - answering billing inquiries from patients and/or healthcare providers/insurance companies
- Posting of co-pays/pre-pays data
- Responsible for all the following surgery scheduling department activities:
- Procedures and processes for efficient scheduling of surgical cases
- Communication and development of processes with facilities
- Escalation of authorization or peer review issues involving contracting with health plans
- Managing variations in staff work flow for optimal patient service
- Handles escalated calls. Responds to patient complaints and compliments related to areas of responsibility
- Approves refunds for patient or insurance over-payments
- Practice Management System Superuser – adds CPT codes; maintains doctor and insurance masters in conjunction with Proliance central office. Develops strategies to meet quality metrics and testing
- Electronic Medical Record Superuser – leads strategies to optimize use of records for compliance and testing
- Participates in preparation of data and reports for quality measures
- Provides support to other clinic processes as directed by Practice Administrator
- Jointly directs Issaquah clinic facility maintenance and vendors with Practice Administrator
- BS/BA preferred
- Certified coding qualifications preferred
- Minimum five years medical business office accounting experience
- Three years as a department manager in patient accounts
- Background in physician services patient accounting, surgical practice preferred.
- Previous supervisory background; skilled in supervision and leadership of teams
- ENT experience preferred
- Knowledge of business management and basic accounting principles to oversee the billing office
- Understanding of computer accounting programs, spreadsheets and applications
- Skilled in medical terminology, coding and medical office procedures, particularly within a physician practice
- Background with third party and insurance company operating procedures, regulations and billing requirements and government reimbursement programs
Proliance Surgeons offers a generous benefits package including Medical/RX, Dental, Vision, 401k with profit sharing and more! Plus ALL of our employees enjoy the free perks of our employee purchasing program offering a variety of discounts on purchases made every day – including cell phone service!
Proliance Surgeons is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and we welcome and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply.
All employment decisions at Proliance Surgeons are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.